Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Our Journey

Kyle and I have been married for eight years...and I love him more now than ever!  Seven years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and was told that if I wanted to have kids, I needed to do it then.  And so, the endless rounds of medication began...clomid, femara...all without success.  About another year had passed and I got a job teaching in Katy, so we put aside all the meds while we house shopped and made the move from college life to the real world.  Wow!  What a difference!
A couple of months into my new teaching job, I had to have back surgery...which of course led to a longer postponement of having children.  Finally I was well enough again and I had found a wonderful new doctor.  She again started me on clomid then later femara...again, all without success.  So, we decided to continue with more aggressive treatments with an RE.  We went through several rounds of treatments with him, including injections and IUI's.  After about 5 failed IUI cycles, we decided it was time to stop.  So emotional, but I knew I couldn't go through the stress any longer.
Fast forward a couple of years...I've lost 100 plus pounds and ready to try it again, but just for a few months and we were moving on to adoption.
Now, with all we've been through in the past seven years, you can imagine my skepticism when my doctor (whom I still adore) recommends going back on clomid.  Ummm....it hasn't worked all of the other times, I thought, "Why start back at square one?  Let's get more aggressive." But I reluctantly agreed to it.  I already knew it wouldn't work, so I just figured I would entertain the doctor and gradually work my way through all of the failed cycles again.  Fast forward to the end of October, and of course, it didn't work.  So here we go again.  We decided this was it.  One last try and we were moving on to adoption, after all, look at all the beautiful children that need good homes.  So, with one last round of medication bringing us into November we just relaxed and kind of joked around with it.
Imagine our amazement and surprise when on Thanksgiving Day we were pregnant!  What a true joy and blessing.  We had mountains to be thankful for!  Everything at this point seemed so surreal.  I just couldn't believe this was happening after seven long and stressful years...could it be true?  So many tears of joy shed that day!  I couldn't wait for our first doctor appointment...which was so long away...December 14th.  Ok, if I thought Thanksgiving Day was the best day of my life, I had no idea what was in store for me at the doctor's office when I heard that amazing little heart beat!  Simply amazing! 
Tomorrow is my 11 week appointment.  It's been a rollercoaster the last few weeks and I ended up with shingles and a staph infection on my face...ick!  So, I am praying that we get a new picture tomorrow and a clean bill of health!

This is our story. It's been quite an adventure, but I love who I've been on this adventure with and wouldn't have it any other way.  My family and friends have been my rock throughout it all!

4 comments:

  1. I am so beyond emotional about this Kristi! I think about you every holiday, especially Mothers Day and was just waiting to finally hear you say those words. Sorry for the grammar I'm too excited to care if I form a full sentence! EEEEEK! Freakin A! I am so beyond excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you and Kyle. Praying for God's blessings on you both. Keep us posted on your progress on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm shedding happy tears for you. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stop crying but Ty tells me I am a cry baby and yes i am and i am so very excited for you to. I pray everyday that everything goes well for you three and that you have so much fun together keep us updated on everything. May God bless you and keep yall safe.

    ReplyDelete